Within the Government of Canada, Minister Christian Paradis is responsible for the activities of the Department of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). In his capacity as Minister, he also has responsibility for the Natural Resources portfolio, which includes the following:
* one Crown Corporation: Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL);
* two independent regulators: the National Energy Board (NEB) and the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC);
* two offshore petroleum boards: the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board (CNLOPB) and the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board (CNSOPB);
* a not-for-profit foundation: Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC); and
* two boards that report to the Minister as required: the Energy Supplies Allocation Board (ESAB) and the Northern Pipeline Agency (NPA).