Recommended Yearly Limit
(we get 240 to 300 millirems per year from natural background radiation)
25,000 millirems for astronaut missions
5000 millirems for adults
500 millirems for childrenA useful comparison to get an idea of reported radiation levels is the fact that the average dose that all humans on the planet get yearly from natural background radiation is 2.4 mSv per year
ave dose per person per year is 2.4 mSv = 2.4 milli Sieverts = .0024 Sieverts
Quote from Leslie Corrice page
1. Radiation occurs everywhere as a natural part of the world…everyone and everything is naturally radioactive.
2. The no-safe-level theory of radiation only applies to enormous exposures (above 100 REM) absorbed over a short period of time.
3. Low levels of radiation exposure over long periods of time, up to 500 times typical natural background levels, are not harmful.
4. Low level radiation is beneficial to human health, improves damage recovery, and is essential to the functioning of the immune system.
5. Way too much or way too little of a good thing can be deadly.